FOOD & RECIPE >
Enjoy a taste of Morocco this month with our easy-to-follow Vegetable Tagine recipe.
COOK + PREP TIME: 50 – 60 Min
REQUIRED: Large pot with lid.
• 2 Onions (peeled & chopped into small pieces)
• 6 – 8 Cloves of Garlic (chopped into very small pieces)
• 2 Large Potatoes (peeled & chopped into small blocks)
• 2 Carrots (peeled & chopped)
• 1 Small/Medium Sweet Potato (peeled & chopped)
• 4 – 8 Fresh Tomatoes (peeled & mashed)
• ½ Cup (125 ml) Dried Apricots 2 Cups (500 ml) Chickpeas (pre-cooked to soften)
• Harissa Spice: 1 Tablespoon
• Ground Cinnamon: 1 teaspoon
• Ground Turmeric: ½ teaspoon
• Ground Coriander: 1 teaspoon
• Salt: To taste
• Olive Oil: ¼ cup (62.5 ml)
• Vegetable Broth: 4 cups (1,000 ml)
• Lemon juice: 2-3 Tablespoons
• Fresh parsley leaves
• Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
• Add onions and fry for 2 to 4 minutes.
• Add all chopped vegetables + garlic. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
• Mix all the spices and salt together, then add to the pot while combining with a wooden spoon and cook for 4 to 8 minutes over medium heat.
• Turn the heat up to medium-high, and add vegetable broth, tomatoes, and apricots. Cook for 8 – 12 more minutes until you notice the hard vegetables, such as potatoes and carrots, are getting softer.
• Lower the heat back to medium-low, cover the pot with a lid, and let the broth simmer for 20 minutes.
• Add chickpeas, lemon juice, and fresh parsley to taste. Cook for 2 – 6 more minutes or until all the vegetables are soft and tender.
Vegetable Tagine is best enjoyed with traditional Moroccan bread, such as Khobz, or rice. Add a couple of drops of lemon juice once dished up, together with fresh parsley leaves, ghee, and a sprinkle of fresh tomato.